Watermelon Coconut Slushie
07. 19. 2017
As a kid, I loved getting a slushy or shaved ice to cool off in the summer. They were usually bright red or blue in color and left my tongue the same when I finished it. As an adult, it is more difficult to justify cooling off with a sugar-infused treat devoid of any nutritional value. Which is why I set out to make a healthy version of my childhood slushies - a watermelon coconut slushie.
If you are managing your heartburn, acid reflux or GERD by eating healthier, this watermelon coconut slushie is a good alternative to any slushie you can buy. It’s simply made with real watermelon, ice cubes, coconut milk and shredded coconut. To keep symptoms under control, you want to stick to a diet with alkaline or low-acid foods. Watermelon is an excellent choice for this cold drink because it’s an alkaline fruit that provides an incredible amount of vitamin A! Coconut and coconut milk are also highly alkaline.
So set aside some of that huge watermelon you bought for the family picnic to make yourself this naturally sweet, real-fruit slushie.
Ingredients (Makes 1 Slushie-16 oz):
- 2 cups seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 ½ cups coconut milk ice cubes
- ½ cup regular ice cubes
- 1 tsp finely shredded coconut
- Pour coconut milk into an ice tray and place in freezer overnight or for a few hours until frozen.
- To make the slushie, blend watermelon first. Add a cup of coconut milk ice cubes, and blend for about a minute or until it starts to get thicker. Add the rest of the coconut milk ice cubes and then regular ice cubes. Blend until it thickens to a slush consistency.
- Gently stir in some of the finely shredded coconut. Pour into a glass immediately, sprinkle some more shredded coconut on top, and enjoy!