Basil Shrimp Couscous Salad
04. 17. 2017
If you’re living with heartburn or GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease), I’m sure there are many foods that you are told to avoid, but let’s focus on what you CAN eat. You want to stick with foods that are low in acid, or considered alkaline. Those foods are less likely to cause any issues for you.
The shrimp, green veggies and couscous are all low acid and combine nicely in this cold salad dish. Fish in general is a great idea to include in meals, as long as it’s not fried or smothered in a fattening sauce; just be sure to get wild-caught fish, not the farm-raised variety. Green vegetables like broccoli, and even other colorful vegetables like red peppers are also low in acid, just avoid the usual tomatoes and onions. Couscous is great for acid reflux because a complex carbohydrate is a good carb, and it helps to control the acid reflux.
This basil shrimp couscous salad is a great low-fat, low-acid dish for lunch or dinner. The basil flavor stands out just enough to be noticed. Some say that basil leaves can soothe the effects of acid reflux, help heal irritation and soreness and ease the digestion process. Of course, certain foods affect people differently. So if you know that you’re sensitive to a lot of basil, you can easily adjust the quantity to fit your needs.
Ingredients (2 servings):
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 1 cup dry pearled couscous
- ⅔ cup (4-oz. pkg) frozen cooked/peeled (wild-caught) salad shrimp, thawed
- ⅓ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup frozen broccoli florets, thawed & chopped small
- 2-3 tbsp Vegenaise (or other mayo alternative)
- 1 tbsp fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- Pour water and couscous into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover saucepan and simmer for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Couscous will become soft as water cooks off.
- Place the couscous in a medium mixing bowl with the shrimp, red peppers, and broccoli.
- Place Vegenaise, chopped basil, sea salt and pepper into a small bowl and mix together. Then stir the dressing into the bowl of couscous, shrimp and veggies.
- Chill salad for 30 minutes and serve cold.