Healthy Heartburn-Friendly Foods to Enjoy all Summer Long
Summer is one of those seasons where the food is just as delightful as the weather! Fresh fruits and vegetables grow in abundance during the months of June, July and August, and the warm temperatures create the perfect setting for a backyard cookout with family and friends. Indulging in summer treats is a delicious way to kick off the season, but if you’re prone to experiencing acid reflux, you’ll want to proceed with caution. Some foods are high in fat or highly acidic, making them a likely culprit for heartburn.
You can still enjoy the fresh flavors of the season while keeping your heartburn in check. Steer clear of common heartburn trigger foods and treat yourself to these heartburn-friendly seasonal favorites instead.
- Melon – Watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew have high water content and low acidity, making them the perfect treat on a hot summer day. While melon is typically a safe choice for people with acid reflux, it can aggravate symptoms in a small percentage of people. Try eating melon in small quantities until you know how it affects you.
- Berries – Add a touch of sweetness to your salads, cereals and yogurt parfaits with juicy summer berries. Blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries make a healthy and delicious treat that is generally well tolerated by refluxers.
- Grilled chicken – Lean grilled chicken is high in protein and low in fat, making it an excellent main dish for your next barbecue. For added flavor and anti-reflux benefits, try using a vinegar-based marinade 30 minutes before grilling.
- Lean burgers – If you want the satisfaction of biting into a juicy grilled burger without the unwanted fat, try opting for a leaner grade of meat. You’ll reduce the fat and calorie content without sacrificing flavor.
- Fruit infused water – Fill a pitcher of cold water with a colorful assortment of fruits and vegetables for the perfect summer refreshment. Try experimenting with fun flavor combinations like cucumber melon and apple raspberry rosemary! Just be sure to avoid citrus fruits which are highly acidic and known to cause heartburn.
Summer is a time for rest, relaxation and fun times with loved ones. Fill your plate with these healthy options that you can enjoy all season long without the risk of heartburn. It’s a guaranteed way to make your summer a memorable one for all the right reasons!